Outdoor Play and Learning
At Buildwas Academy we aspire to engage children during every element of their education. We appreciate the importance of play to children’s happiness and the crucial part it plays in providing ambitious and creative opportunities that support a child’s development. Thus, building resilience and nurturing our children to evolve into the best versions of themselves.
Play is serious business and every child has a right to play.
What is play?
Play is defined as any freely chosen activity that a child finds satisfying and creative. It may or may not involve equipment or other people.
Children spend 20% of their time in school playing.
The benefits of play include:
- Supporting health and wellbeing
- Promoting cognitive development
- Developing physical activity and literacy
- Assisting mental health and emotional wellbeing
- Nurturing social development
- Growing understanding of risk and challenge
- Building resilience and character
OPAL (Outdoor Play and Learning) is all about using naturally and man made resources to allow children to be inspired and creative at playtime.